The Quinte West Minor Peewee Image Landscape Hawks, News, Minor PeeWee A (Quinte West Minor Hockey Association)

PrintNews Article
Click to view full-size image
The Quinte West Minor Peewee Image Landscape Hawks
Submitted By Jeff Mooney on Monday, January 07, 2019
The Quinte West Minor Peewee Image Landscape Hawks would like to wish everyone a very Happy New Year!!

The Quinte West Minor Peewee Image Landscape Hawks would like to wish everyone a very Happy New Year!! The holidays were a very busy time for the Hawks; Santa came and went, the boys travelled to Ottawa for the Bell Capital Cup, and they remained undefeated through the regular season. The Hawks began their holiday with a quick trip to Peterborough and a solid 2-0 win. This was a competitive matchup with goals by Wease and Davy, and assists recorded by Mooney and Carr. Carson Down would record the shutout with his stellar play between the pipes.


The next day the Hawks would host a gritty Whitby Blue squad. This would be a dogfight to the very end but the Hawks would strike first when Andrews scored unassisted early in the first period. Fanjoy would widen the lead early in the second with help from Ferg and Kenney, but the Blue would strike back with two of their own to tie things up. Fanjoy would score once more in the period with assists from Lordy and Davy, but Whitby would again punch back and tie things at 3-3 going in to the final frame. Andrews would find the net again with help from Wease and Turpin, but Whitby refused to lose on this day as they would get one more to finish things at 4-4. Dryden Riley was solid in net and made some key saves to keep the Hawks undefeated season intact.


A much anticipated Bell Capital Cup would not disappoint as the Hawks travelled to Ottawa a mere 2 days after stuffing their bellies with turkey and goodies, and playing as much Fortnite as they could fit in before they hit the road! Their first game would suggest a Christmas dinner hangover to say the least. Kenney would start the scoring just 3 seconds into the game but the Ottawa Sting would score twice in the first minute as well. Kenney would tie things up with help from Fanjoy and Ferg, but Ottawa would fight back with two more of their own in the period. And that’s how the score would remain to begin the tourney with a 2-4 loss. Carson Down would get Player of the game for his efforts between the pipes.

The boys would redeem themselves later that evening as they faced the Ottawa West Golden Knights in game 2. Davy would open the scoring in the first with help from Sillsy, and Kenney would make it 2-0 with an assist from Ferg. Ottawa would get one back in the first frame to put the score at 2-1. The floodgates would open in the second with two goals by Wease(assist by Lordy), and singles netted by Fanjoy(Coe, Mooney) and Mooney(Slone, Webby). Ottawa would get one in the third to make the final score 6-2. Riley would get the win for the Hawks.

Game three would take place the next morning as the Hawks would face the Mississippi Thunder. Lordy would begin the scoring with help from Mooney and Coe in the first, and the Thunder would match to even things up. Wease would get the go ahead goal making it 2-1 heading to the second period. Turpin would add to the lead with help from Wease, and Mooney would notch another with help from Slone. Carr would score a PP goal in the third and the Thunder would add one more of their own to finish the game at 5-2 for the Hawks. Down played a solid game in net for the win.

The Hawks would battle the Nepean Raiders in an afternoon matchup for game 4. This was a relatively even affair with Ferg drawing first blood with help from Coe and Fanjoy in the first. The Raiders would tie things up early in the second until Fanjoy would connect with Kenney to take the lead once again. Kenney would score the lone goal in the third with assists by Andrews and Lordy to finish the game at a 3-1 final. Riley was on his game to secure the win for the Hawks.

The Friday evening quarter final matchup would be a rematch against Ottawa West. The Hawks started slow and were down 0-1 after the first frame. Lordy and Andrews would connect with Wease to tie things in the second period and the Hawks would come to life in the third with goals from Kenney, Ferg (Coe, Fanjoy), and Fanjoy (Ferg, Webby). Carson Down made key saves in this one to keep the Hawks alive with a 4-1 win.

The early morning semi final matchup would see the Hawks face the Winterhawks of Milton. Dryden Riley would shut the door on the Winterhawks to help the Hawks move on to the finals with a convincing 4-0 win. Goals were recorded by Andrews(assist by Wease), Coe(Sillsy), Carr(Mooney, Coe), and Turpin(Andrews,Wease).

The Final was played at the Canadian Tire Centre which added to the atmosphere of this memorable event for the Hawks. The boys got to see themselves on the big screen and hear their names announced like they were playing game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. Wease got the Hawks on the board in first with help from Fanjoy and Ferg. Fanjoy would notch another and Kenney(Ferg, Webby) would put the game out of reach even though the Nepean Raiders rallied with 2 goals late in third. Down held his ground and made some key saves late in the game as well. The Hawks would take the final 3-2 and bring home the banner after a well-played and hard fought tournament!


The Hawks jumped right back into regular season play as they travelled to Kingston to face a tenacious Canadians squad. Fanjoy would set the tone with a lone goal in the first period with helpers from Ferg and Slone. The Kingston team came out flying in the second and scored three straight goals to put the Hawks in the biggest deficit they have seen in the regular season. Sillsy and Fanjoy would help Kenney find the back of the net late in the second, but Kingston would bite right back and maintain a two goal advantage leading into the third. Ferg would find the back of the net early in the final frame with help from Fanjoy, and Kenney would pot the game tying goal with little time remaining. A stressful affair but Riley made key stops when they were needed the most to keep the undefeated regular season record alive!


This past Sunday, your Quinte West Minor Peewee Image Landscape Hawks would host Ajax in their final meeting of the regular season. Kenney would kick off this beat down with the lone goal in the first period with help from Sillsy and Slone. The floodgates would open in the second period with goals by Wease (Kenney, Andrews), Kenney (Slone, Andrews), Carr (Mooney), and Ferg (Fanjoy). Kenney would score again in the third period to complete his hat trick and Lordy would add another for good measure to finish things at 7-0. Carson Down would record another shutout and help the Hawks keep their unbeaten regular season record rolling!

This article has been viewed 58 times.
Team Pages
View Another Team
View AllOur Sponsors
Manage Subscriptions
Signup to receive email or text messages for the teams you want to follow.
News ArchiveOther Recent Articles
Printed from on Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 8:54 PM